One hears a lot of conflicting things about SEO, so you may not be sure what to believe. Is it just about using the same keywords over and over? Or is it about keeping up with changing search engine algorithms? Here is a short SEO guide for graphic designers to keep in mind when working on websites and other online content:
- Trends. SEO or search engine optimization has a lot to do with knowing what’s trending at the moment. Many people on the internet are looking for information on certain topics. For some reason, the Kardashian family is always trending. However, new movies, books and other topics of interest may also be trending. So if you’re working on pages which incorporate new trends, you could keep in mind that this would be a good way of boosting your SEO.
- Keywords. A lot has been said about the importance of keywords in SEO and some of it should be taken with a grain of salt. It’s never a good idea to stuff an article with the same keywords repeated every so often. At the same time, it doesn’t hurt to repeat a keyword 3-4 times in a 500-word article. This will give your SEO a little boost but given that search engines have wised up to overstuffing, it won’t be the only thing that boosts the number of hits your website gets.
- Diversifying. Another technique you could use to boost your ratings is using different keywords relating to the same thing. For example, if you’re writing about Twilight, “twilight” itself would be a keyword that has been used a lot in the internet (although it may no longer be trending). However, “vampire,” “werewolf,” “Robert Pattinson” and “Kristen Stewart” are also popular keywords that can be incorporated into the article to boost its ratings.
- Photos and Videos. As a graphic designer, you probably know that the use of photos and videos can greatly increase the number of hits you get on your website or article. But also specifying in the title of your page that it contains photos and videos can help bring readers to you. For example, here is a possible article title: “Keira Knightly Weds Boyfriend James Righton in South of France [PHOTOS, VIDEO]”.
- Quality Writing. Of course, keywords, photos, and videos are all important but overall, the best way to make sure that you get readers is to use good quality writing with no mistakes. Additionally, the writing should also be meaty and not keep repeating the same points over and over. People also tend to prefer writing that imparts information to writing that’s overly sales. Want more tips on writing good content for search sites? Mad Lemmings has some great ideas!
So if you’re a graphic designer, you’ll be working with a copywriter to make sure that the websites or pages you design have good SEO. Make sure you look out for the above things and you’ll definitely see a boost in the number of hits your website receives. Contact us for more information on search engine optimization.
Have more ideas on SEO for Graphic Designers? We’d love to hear them in the comment section below!
Back to the Pinnacle Cart Homepage