Scoring high-quality backlinks can be a daunting task. But when you are equipped with the right strategy, you can easily earn backlinks and find link building opportunities.
Ever wondered what backlinks are and why they’re so important?
We all hear the term over and over but how does it apply to online stores? In this article, we will discuss what a backlink is, its significance to eCommerce business owners, and a few methods that will help you earn them.
So what exactly are backlinks?
Backlinks are links that come to your website from other websites. They are an essential part of search engine optimization as they give your website relevancy. They are also considered a major building block of healthy websites because the more quality backlinks your site has, the more popular it looks to search engines. This is why backlinks are important to online businesses. The more relevant inward links your store has, the higher the possibility for your website to stay on top of search results.
The Significance of Having Backlinks
- When you secure quality backlinks, your website has a greater chance of being indexed higher by search engine spiders.
- Quality backlinks help improve the traffic to your website.
- Having legitimate inward links shows that your website is respected by its peers.
- Some search engines determine your site reliability based on its quality inward links.
Ways to Earn Backlinks
1) Content Promotion
Great content is one thing. Promoting it the right way is another. Promote your content and do email outreach so it can gain more exposure. Reach out to top bloggers and authoritative websites (aka influencers). Give a brief yet spot-on introduction of your website and include a link to your best information, guides, or tutorials.
If the influencers you’ve reached out to find your links useful, they may link back to you sometime in the future. These experts are always on the lookout for great resources so if you have compelling content, they will be more willing to work with you.
Visuals are great for capturing attention but infographics excel at both grabbing attention and delivering large amounts of information in an appealing way. This makes them an effective method for boosting traffic to your website and gaining high-quality backlinks. Why? Because infographics are fun and easy to digest, which makes them a popular share. The demand for infographics has soared over the last few years as everyone loves visual data.
When creating an infographic:
- Speak to your target audience with compelling stories about topics that will interest them.
- Study and follow trending topics and know what your followers are into.
- Create your infographic using interesting data that you’ve gathered.
- Make your stuff easy for others to share using the popular Siege Media Generator.
- Distribute your infographic to platforms like Visual.ly, Mashable Infographics, and Reddit Infographics.
After these tasks are complete, you can launch an email outreach to users who have shared the same type of infographics on social media. It’s ok to ask for comments or feedback on your infographics but a bit taboo to ask for a link directly. If your industry peers have a positive opinion on your infographic, you might get a link in return. It’s worth the effort when you do because quality backlinks are eCommerce gold.
3) Guest blogging
When you continually publish articles on other high ranking websites, your content gets more exposure, you store will earn backlinks, and you’ll attract readers from outside your loyal following. With this technique, it’s ok to not worry so much about the actual backlinks. Sometimes, it’s more about boosting your online reputation, growing your social media audience, and attracting interested followers.
When looking for websites that accept guest articles, use the following search strings as examples so you can get niche-relevant guest post opportunities:
- your keyword + guest post by
- your keyword + want to write for
- your keyword + become an author
- your keyword + inurl:guest-post-guidelines
- your keyword + bloggers wanted
- your keyword + submit an article
- your keyword + guest-posts
- your keyword + become a contributor
- your keyword + inurl:write-for-us
- your keyword + now accepting guest posts
Another effective method that will earn backlinks is writing reviews or testimonials on products or services that are in your chosen market. This won’t take long and it may provide your website a link from a high ranking website. If you are a loyal customer of a particular product or service that doesn’t offer a review section, contact them! There’s a possibility you can earn a link in exchange for a loyal customer testimonial. Communicate with their marketing manager to discuss the possibility of having your testimonials featured on their particular website.
Online Tools for Building Backlinks
- Google Profiles – If you are a top employee or one of the founders of an online business, you need to create and complete a Google profile (if you haven’t done so already). Add custom links with anchor text so users and other websites can easily find you. This will help Google identify what other sites think about your page. Your profile link on Google Profiles can be used for additional information, including photos and videos about your brand. Google profiles are vital, especially now that Google Plus is used by so many worldwide.
- LinkedIn – Another great resource for business connections and building backlinks is LinkedIn. When using this site, simply create a company profile and individual profiles for key employees and founders. Choose “Other” when setting your first website link to create a custom anchor text. Don’t forget to use two additional links but make sure you exclude an anchor text.
- Digg – Known as the homepage for the internet, Digg is a perfect resource for traffic generation through backlinks. Founded 12-years ago, Digg still has a large following and its users are still very active. You can easily submit any articles you want to promote and hope they catch on. One of the many great things about Digg is that links placed on articles are followed by search engines.
- Google Business – It is vital that you create a local business listing for all of your offices on Google Business. With this online business directory, you can utilize targeted keywords and place them in the profile and description fields. This creates a high visibility in search results and is a fantastic source that is devoid of nofollows.
- HubPages – Love writing about your passions? Well, we hope your online business is your passion then because HubPages can help you get your ideas and opinions out. You can also form an account to gain a following and answer questions in your field of interest.
- Listings.local.yahoo.com – If you your business can benefit from attracting local users (trust us, it can), this one is for you. Create a profile for your business and be sure to write with your audience and SEO in mind as you fill in the description fields and anchor text.
- StumbleUpon – StumbleUpon has been around for many years but still continues to be popular and busy. It handles a ton of traffic from all over the web and submitted links are consistently followed.
Figuring out how to earn backlinks is one of the most vital strategies to an eCommerce store’s long-term SEO. Your brand needs to focus on earning quality backlinks from powerful, relevant sites. In the long run, mastering backlinks will help you build a solid online business that will rank with more keywords and deliver a steady stream of traffic.